I just made this recipe again this weekend and for whatever reason it was perfect. I think it was the simple fact that on a cold, winter’s day, my nanny’s mac and cheese is exactly what I want sticking to my ribs (so to speak).
I’ve mixed it up with various cheeses before, including jalapeno for a spice and kick, but nothing beats simple cheddar.
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheese
- Cook the macaroni
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan melt the butter and add the flour, stirring until well blended and thick.
- Add milk, about 1/2 a cup at a time. Whisk until thick. Continuing adding milk until all combined.
- Add pepper.
- Add cheese. Whisk well, and until thickening.
- Drain pasta.
- Combine cheese sauce over pasta. Add into casserole dish.
- Grate additional cheese on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
originally posted on bitoffoodsense.com