I love oatmeal cookies. There are many cookies I’ve likely said that to before, it appears my cookie allegiances change by the day, but there will always be a place in my heart for an oatmeal cookie. Maybe it’ because they remind me of my grandmother. Maybe it’s because I have a thing for brown sugar. Whatever the case, this twist on the traditional oatmeal cookie to include coconut is now a new fave.
I’ve added a few chocolate chip cookies to excite the kids, but frankly, the recipe didn’t even need them. Keep them if you like a little extra in a few bites of your cookie.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup golden cane sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (I used Muscavado)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Mix together butter and sugars until well blended.
- Add egg and vanilla. Combine well.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and oatmeal. Mix well.
- Add coconut and chocolate chips.
- When well blended, use teaspoons to spoon batter onto cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, letting the edges brown slightly.
*adapted from this foodnetwork.com recipe